I specialize in relationship issues; including communication skills, vulnerability/intimacy issues, conflict resolution, codependency, and sexuality concerns. I am specifically trained in the John Gottman theory of couple's counseling.
Actively keep your love alive by valuing and nurturing your relationship in the following ways:
- Plan regular time together doing something you both enjoy.
- Give your partner the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming the worst. Be curious and seek to understand why your partner is acting the way he/she is.
- Make sure the positive experiences in your relationship outweigh the negative experiences by five to one, and make sure you show your appreciation for your partner's caring actions.
- When there is conflict make sure you calm yourselves by taking time out when emotions are high, and coming back to the discussion later.
- When mistakes are made, make sure you both work to repair the damage.
- Be there to support your partner in times of difficulty, and encourage him or her in work, friendships and leisure activities.
- Be prepared to be influenced by what is important to your partner, just as your partner needs to be influenced by you.
- Have a ‘team mentality'. When there are difficulties, talk about what ‘we' need to do about it.
- Have high standards for your relationship, and stick to them yourself.
- Keep your sense of humour, and make sure you have fun.